Re: Samples on Web pages

Subject: Re: Samples on Web pages
From: "J. David Hickey" <jdhickey -at- SYMPATICO -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 18:12:47 -0800

Greetings!

> Unless you're thinking of seeking work from all over the world, I see
> little reason to post samples of your tech writing work on the Web. You can

I think there's a little more value to it than that.

You can bring your portfolio to an interview, but the employer really only gets
a cursory glance at your work. Putting a sample of your work on a web site
allows an employer to take a closer look at your work at his/her own leisure.

An then there's electronic publications like winhelp, web help, and web
documents that you can't really bring to your interview.

Putting up samples and then letting clients know where they are only helps you
show off your wares. The only problem is that putting your portfolio on the web
might cause some copyright conflicts. You can alleviate that problem by
creating small fictional samples for your electronic portfolio.

I should talk... I'm still trying to create these "small fictional samples" for
my website. Sheesh.
--
Be seeing you,

Dave
---
John David Hickey
jdhickey -at- sympatico -dot- ca
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/

514-482-8702
Montréal, Québec

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.
But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
---

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=