Re: Arranging Topics For New Manual

Subject: Re: Arranging Topics For New Manual
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 09:22:26 +0000

I often do a rough outline of a manual etc before starting. This isn't a
detailed plan but is often a fist shot at putting my ideas down on paper.
It may be quite detailed or a simple as a set of section/chapter heading -
Installation, Function 1, Function 2 etc. This first shot helps (me at
least) to organise my thoughts around the manual. There will be many
changes from the initial scribbled outline to what could be described as
firm manual plan! Some sections will just be headings, others may have
quite detailed ideas - subheadings, notes, complete body text etc - but all
may be juggled around as I get more of a feel for the audience.

I don't see this as a hard and fast approach - more organic really, that
grows into the project .

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International