Re: Credibility of the Internet (was: User-centered design)

Subject: Re: Credibility of the Internet (was: User-centered design)
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 10:00:36 -0600

> But since you asked, *I* would say "The movie's supposedly based on a true
> story."

So if someone asked you who was in the movie, would you say "It
supposedly stars Frances McDormand"? ;-) I don't think any of us are
willing to attach a "supposedly" to every statement that concerns
something we didn't personally witness. I agree with the "trust but
verify" philosophy (and to try and keep this on topic, I think that
philosophy should be familiar to any TW), especially when it comes to
the internet, but I think that responsibility belongs with the reader.
If I believe I know the truth, I can say "this is true." The recipient
of that message must still decide whether to believe I actually know
what I'm talking about (which you lucky techwhirlers get to do on an
almost daily basis), and hopefully will make that decision based on more
than my own confidence in the truth of my message. Or is that what
you're saying too?

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=