TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
Corrupted files in SourceSafe (summary/conclusion)
Subject:Corrupted files in SourceSafe (summary/conclusion) From:Lydia Wong <lydiaw -at- FPOINT -dot- COM> Date:Tue, 9 Feb 1999 13:18:14 -0500
Framers and TechWR-Lers,
Thank you for the many suggestions offered concerning the possible reasons
our FrameMaker files (and their histories) were getting corrupted in
SourceSafe. (To recap: we're using Frame 5.5.2 on Windows 98 and SourceSafe
6.0.) Some of you asked for me to let you know what we found out.
We never found a definitive answer, but tried two different things: we
reinstalled FrameMaker on my coworkers machine (the machine that seemed to
be the source of the problems), and we turned off a tool running in the
background on her machine (but not on mine). The tool we turned off is
called FindFast. It's an option to run that comes with Office 97. Here's the
description from the Office 97 documentation:
"Find Fast builds indexes to speed up finding documents from the Open dialog
box in any Microsoft Office program and from Microsoft Outlook. Find Fast
indexes located on Microsoft Windows NT Server can also be used by Office
WebSearch. When Find Fast is installed with Office, it automatically creates
an index on each local drive of your computer to cover all of your Office
Because the history files were corrupted in SourceSafe, and the Frame files
themselves were corrupted *after* the files and Frame was closed, our guess
is that FindFast is the culprit. However, as I said, this isn't a definitive
conclusion. Since we have reinstalled Frame and turned off FindFast, though,
we have experienced no further problems.
Hope this helps someone out there who might encounter the same situation.
Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions.
FarPoint Technologies, Inc.