No users! - Summary and Thanks

Subject: No users! - Summary and Thanks
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 12:47:45 -0700

After a 2-hour meeting under horrendous conditions (there were construction
workers using jackhammers in the room next door, I kid you not!), then lunch
break, I returned to several helpful suggestions. My brain is still
vibrating in my skull, but I want to get my thanks out to everyone before I
get involved in something else.

- "Using CIS" was the most popular suggestion.

- I like the idea of basing the name on the document's purpose rather than
the audience.

- There were several commentaries on "what's wrong with 'users'?" I
expected these replies to a question I didn't ask and was all set to ignore
them. However, it turns out that those were the most helpful responses in
the long run. Those messages, combined with Tracy's comment of "try to think
of the people you know who aren't programmers or engineers", are what really
helped resolve the issue. The majority of our users *are* engineers.

Bottom Line: "Clients" is no more. It was the programmer who pushed for
using "clients" (it all came about because of a "User Permissions" screen in
the application) and he, at the time, was able to convince me that "client"
should be used instead of "user". Well, thanks to the comments from this
list (which I sat down and read to him), I convinced him that maybe "client"
wasn't such a good idea afterall. He still doesn't want to use "user" on
that particular screen, but now he won't use "client" either. We might just
use "account". As for the manual, I may stick with CIS Users Guide or I may
go with CIS Procedures Manual, but still use "user" within the manual.

So, thanks to everyone who replied! All of you were helpful.

Oh, to the person who seemed irked that I hadn't replied with a thank you to
the list within a couple hours of posting my question... take a pill or
something. I have more to do at work than to sit in front of the PC waiting
for email to come in.

Cheers!

Bev Parks

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=