Re: Two questions

Subject: Re: Two questions
From: Elisabeth Zakes <ezakes -at- PLANVIEW -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 08:18:19 -0600

On Thursday, February 11, 1999 7:45 AM, Michelle Vina-Baltsas
[SMTP:Michelle_Vina-Baltsas -at- US -dot- CRAWCO -dot- COM] wrote:
> 2. I just got a manual back from the printer who used our Word file
> produce the document. On one page there is an orphan that I had
carefully
> removed from the original by shaving off points before and points
after
> paragraphs on the preceding page. I'm not all sure why the orphan
came
> back, but what I'm wondering from all of you is, how critical are you
in
> reviewing writing samples? If you saw a widow or an orphan in a
document,
> would you not consider the candidate? I'm trying to decide whether
this
> document goes in my portfolio or not. Am I worrying needlessly?
>
> >>To avoid this issue you could send future files in .PDF (portable
> document format) format. I've had similar problems when sending docs
to my
> professional printer and this has solved the problem. As someone else
on
> the list stated, the reason for this problem is due to the different
> printer drivers and repagination.

I also obtained the postscript driver for the printer that the printing
company actually uses. Once I create a .prn with that, all my page
breaks stay exactly as I had them.
Elisabeth B. Zakes
PlanView, Inc., Austin, TX
ezakes -at- planview -dot- com