Re: Voice Software, Injuries and CTS

Subject: Re: Voice Software, Injuries and CTS
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <uhl -at- VISLAB -dot- EPA -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:07:56 -0500

Esteemed Colleagues:

Suzette gives great words of advice here; don't ignore them. Address pain in your
wrists and hands as soon as it begins. Don't wait until you can't move your
fingers anymore. I've learned that in many companies, the squeeky wheel gets the
grease. Make requests for ergonomic equipment in writing and keep copies of these
requests. Document any pain you experience due to your working environment.

One trick I am able to do is, for weeks at a time, use my left hand to move my
mouse. (I'm somewhat ambidextrous.) It looks funny and drives my co-workers
crazy--when they sit down to use my workstation, but it is worth it. I can thus
give my right hand and wrist a break. When I got tingling and numbness in my right
forearm I knew it was time to get serious. Fortunately, resting my right wrist
brought it back to normalcy.

Invest in a better mouse, a better keyboard, better furniture, whatever it takes!
If you go too long, the damage can be irreversible. Then where are you?

I find it ridiculous that Suzette's company is so obstinate to her using her own
furniture...they're probably looking at one liability issue while missing a more
important one.

An very old man once told me, when I was 20 or so years old, "When you've got your
health, you have everything." There is definitley a kernel of wisdom there...just
ask those around you who suffer from a chronic illness or injury. I thank God
every day for my good health. I've seen how easily it can slip away.

Cheers.

-Mike

--
Michael Andrew Uhl (mailto:uhl -at- vislab -dot- epa -dot- gov)
Lockheed Martin - U.S. EPA Scientific Visualization Center

Suzette Seveny wrote:

> The best solution to CTS is not to develop it in the first place. So, all the
> suggestions of VR software, split keyboards, etc. are excellent ones.

> I have been here for almost a year now, and just recently my hands have started
> to ache. I know from past history, that the aching is a precursor to
> excruciating pain again, so I have to start doing some re-thinking.
> Unfortunately, this company is violently opposed to telecommuting, so all my
> expensive, ergonomic furniture is sitting useless at home.
>
> If anybody works for a company that will support ergonomic environments, do
> yourself a favour, and get all that you can. As so many people on this list
> have mentioned, it really does make a difference.
>
> Suzette Seveny
> Markham, Ontario, Canada
> sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
>
> Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while, I was a suspect.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=