Re: Breaking into the business

Subject: Re: Breaking into the business
From: Debbie Warren <dwarren -at- DTECHS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 13:31:26 -0600

Kevin

Why do you want to teach? I bet you enjoy sharing your knowledge. If that's
the case, technical writing may be the perfect temporary or part-time job
for you.

You ask for advice on computer training. I recommend reading books on
desktop publishing software. For example, a PageMaker user's guide can teach
you the software without ever actually using it. I taught myself how to use
RoboHelp to create on-line help files in about 2 days.

I've never read Microsoft's Style Guide. Although, I do write my user's
guide the same way.

Please, don't take this the wrong way. I can't help thinking that you are
taking a job that is below your skills. If I knew chemistry, I would try to
work for a pharmaceutical company. -- Now, this comes from a person who
dreams about owning a dog facility (swimming, deli shop for dogs and people,
grooming, etc... ) everyday. But I don't have the slightest idea about how
to realize my dream.

Good luck!

Debbie Warren
USA