Re: What is a Technical Specifications document?

Subject: Re: What is a Technical Specifications document?
From: "Atkinson, Phil" <Phil -dot- Atkinson -at- BRAID -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 16:19:09 -0000

Cassandra Parker wrote: I'm trying to find out how to write a
Technical Specifications document...

After some messing about with Outlook putting the reply in the right place,
I replied:

Sounds suspiciously like a job for the nearest developer (locate the one
nearest to you and ensure it arrives on his desk as soon as possible ;-))

In my experience, these types of documents are typically written by your
local SME (subject matter expert - I hate TLAs). In previous jobs we [the
documentation team] have offered to provide templates and proofing for such
documents, but I would hesitate before offering to write one.

That said, it really depends on the purpose, audience and content of the
document. If it is one of those scary technical/functional type documents,
you could look upon this as an opportunity to find out more about another
side (the dark side!) of technical writing - writing software design
documentation - yuck!

Phil Atkinson - Documentation Manager - Braid Systems Limited
mailto:phil -dot- atkinson -at- braid -dot- co -dot- uk

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=