Re: Recommended Graphic Packages: Need opinions on use of colors on W eb sites

Subject: Re: Recommended Graphic Packages: Need opinions on use of colors on W eb sites
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 15:37:59 -0800

Vickie wrote:
>...setting up an Intranet site for my department. We have chosen to use a
blue
>that is not one of the basic 16 colors. The technician I'm working with is
>recommending that we use one of the basic 16 colors for those people with
>monitors that only support the 16 colors. Apparently, on one of these
>monitors we get a textured patch work affect. Is it generally recommended to
>only use the basic 16 colors on Web sites? Also, is it a guideline to design
>the pages for 600 by 800 pixels? Thanks again for any recommendations and
>advice you can pass my way.

According to Lynda Weinman (www.lynda.com), the "basic 16" Windows colors
are *not* browser safe. Of the "standard" 256 colors, she recommends you
stick to 216. Follow the "Web Color" link on her home page for details.

I recommend her _Designing Web Graphics.2_ wholeheartedly!

Since this is a departmental intranet, you should be able to design your
pages for the "lowest common denominator" monitors in your department.
When designing web pages for general consumption, I still stick to standard
VGA -- 640 x 480.

HTH!

-Sue Gallagher http://pw1.netcom.com/~gscale/susanwg/
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com http://www.expersoft.com

The _Guide_ is definitive.
Reality is frequently inaccurate. --Douglas Adams

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=