Re: Proper Usage of Miss

Subject: Re: Proper Usage of Miss
From: Dianne Walsh <Dianne -dot- Walsh -at- MEDECISION -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 12:08:36 -0500

Debbie Warren writes:
> Several of my co-workers say "Miss Jane or Miss Linda" even when the woman
> is married. I do not believe that they are using Miss correctly. I think
> that one should always use "Miss" with a last name and only for a
> unmarried
> woman. I'm I right?

Debbie,

I see you're in Texas, and that explains a lot of it. It's been an
old southern custom going back many, many years to refer to a woman--married
or not--as "Miss <insert first name>." It's usually reserved for women "of a
certain age," but some folks use it for just about any female they respect.
Remember former President Jimmy Carter's mother, Miss Lillian?

Dianne Walsh
Documentation Manager at a company that wishes to remain anonymous

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=