Re: Word--AAUGH!

Subject: Re: Word--AAUGH!
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:34:43 -0600

In our previous episode, Moore, Tracey said:
> I posted a little while back about my documents not printing correctly.
> The problem was fixed temporarily by installing a new printer driver.
> But, alas, the problem came back!
>
> I spent all day long on the phone with Microsoft today, and it turns out
> that my 17 documents that I spent two weeks working on, are corrupted.
> They must have been corrupted early on, because the original files are
> bad as well. (I save copies every day.) Microsoft says the only way to
> save the docs is to create a txt file from the docs and re-format, and
> reinsert the graphics. I might as well recreate the darned things.
>
> Does anyone know of a utility that locates corruption and fixes Word
> docs? Any thoughts on how to make this less painful?

My last-chance procedure to fix corrupted documents that I could open
but then things went wonky was to save them in Word for DOS 6.0
format, making sure to create a style sheet (.sty file) to hold any
document styles.

It takes a certain amount of reworking to get them back into Word for
Windows, but if the save-as worked, the document wasn't corrupt
anymore.

Good luck.

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
When you're shooting the rapids is _not_ the time for a long
multimedia presentation on the engineering dynamics of
rapids-shooting, complete with bitter arguments between proponents of
two different theories of fluid dynamics.
-- Patrick Nielsen Hayden

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=