Re: graduate school questions

Subject: Re: graduate school questions
From: "Gehres, Mary Elizabeth (Betsy)** CTR **" <gehres -at- LUCENT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:05:52 -0700

<<Laura Schultz wrote:

<< Also, is a master's in technical communication important, or does any
master's accomplish the same thing? Could I have a master's in Medieval
British Lit and be more marketable than I am now, or would a MSTC open even
more doors? >>

I guess this depends on what doors you want to open. If you're serious about
adopting technical communication as your career choice, go for the MSTC.

I have a B.A. in English literature from UCLA and an MSTC from Univ. of
Colorado. I can honestly tell you my MSTC is far more relevant when I look
for technical writing jobs. And when I'm on the inside helping to screen
candidates, ones who have degrees in TC are taken more seriously, especially
now, when so many colleges offer TC programs. A TC degree offers some
assurance that the person has been trained according to current practices.
An MSTC also bumps you up to that "senior" level, making it easier for you
to negotiate a higher salary.

I really want to stress that a degree in technical communication is not
equivalent to a literature degree--the course curriculum is quite different.
TC is more akin to cognitive psychology, in my experience. A good MSTC
program should take your skills to higher level and offer you more than
simple work experience will give you.

Betsy Gehres
gehres -at- lucent -dot- com
(303) 290-3495