Re: OS2 graphics tool(s)?

Subject: Re: OS2 graphics tool(s)?
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 08:06:33 -0800

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999 10:30:34 -0500, WPAINE wrote:

> My co-worker is writing for an application that resides on an OS2
> platform. Traditional screen capture tools, we have Hijaak and
> PaintShop, he says don't work or work well in the OS2 environment.

No, I would imagine not... :)

> His goal is to capture a OS2 session, copy/paste it to the Windows
> clipboard, manupliate it and then insert it into a frame doc.

There are a number of excellent OS/2 utilities for doing screen captures.
My personal favorite is PMView, a fast and powerful image
viewer/manipulator (though not a paint program). It supports timed
capture of the entire screen, of a section of the screen, of a window, or
of a window's contents. It's shareware, and a demo is available at
www.pmview.com

Other options are PrntScrn (no, that's the name of the program), which
captures PrintScreen output to the clipboard, as well as several other
freeware and shareware utilities such as PMJPEG and PMCamera (just off the
top of my head).

Best place to check for OS/2 software is http://hobbes.nmsu.edu; there's a
search engine there that should return some helpful hints to a search on
"capture", or you can dive straight into /pub/os2/apps/graphics/ (also
accessible via ftp).

One other thing: If you want to transfer images between OS/2 and Win-OS/2
clipboards, you'll have to go into Desktop\OS/2 System\System
Setup\WIN-OS/2 Setup and, on the Data Exchange tab, set the Clipboard to
the Public (share) radio button. Otherwise, you can always save the
captured image to disk and then load it into Frame (remember that Win3x
and hence Win-OS/2 cannot handle long filenames, so keep it to 8.3 naming
when you save).

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare.

"Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."

- Professor Robert Silensky
California University

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=