[no subject]

From: Edward Gomez <edward_gomez -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 17:21:22 CST

Dear Sirs/ Ms:

I'm a new subscriber and, first of all I'd like to say that I have been
reading my incoming e-mail messages and responses and in a very short
time I have learned a lot about the business of technical writing as a
result. I must say that all of you as writers are very professional and
knowledgeable about a great variety of topics and I can see that there
are a lot of years of experience amongst you and I feel very fortunate
to be a member of such a diverse mailing group.

The reason for this message is that I am inquiring about a situation in
which I have a little bit of a solution but no real concrete facts or
evidence.
I would like to know if anyone out there knows of any correlation
between technical communication and the study of a foreign language such
as Spanish.

To briefly discuss my background, I studied at Western Illinois
University, earning a Board of Governors Bachelor of arts degree. My
degree is a liberal arts type of degree, but it does not have a liberal
arts major. It is a type of degree in which you and an academic advisor
design a curriculum to your own interests. My interest were - and still
are - varied and I wanted to continue studying in college after I earned
my Associate in Applied Science degree in Technical writing from Black
Hawk college in Moline, IL. While attending Western Illinois
University, I placed an emphasis on Technical communications and Spanish
syntax and literature as well as technical electives such as CAD design
and drawing and computer programming while at the same time completing
the core curriculum that is necessary to earn an advanced degree.

If anyone out there knows, from a technical writing point of view would
that be performing technical translation in either Spanish to English or
vice-versa? And would it be a job title of technical writer or a
translator? Are there jobs out there for writers with skills such as
mine?

Any input would be appreciated.

Cordially,

Edward J. Gomez
Technical Writer
Komatsu America International Company
Technical Publications
440 North Fairway Drive, P.O. Box 8112
Vernon Hills, IL 60061-8112
Phone: 847-970-5879 Fax: 847-970-4198
Internet: egomez -at- komint -dot- com (work)
Edward_gomez -at- hotmail -dot- com (home)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=