Symbols for system answers.

Subject: Symbols for system answers.
From: "Espling, Ylva" <YLESP -at- WMDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 08:57:35 +0100

Hi all,

I'm writing a "getting started" manual for a configuration management tool.
I use many snapshots, some showing the result of an action and some guiding
the user in the next action. Now me and my colleages have a discussion about
the symbols to use in the manual. We have a "Note!" balloon symbol for
important information, An "Info" symbol for interesting, but not so
important information, and a lightbulb symbol for tips on how to work
quicker and easier.

The thing we are discussing is about having a symbol before system answers
and this is where our opinions differs. Mostly the system answers consist of
a short description and a snapshot of a window. For example:

"The Xtools main window appears" and then a snapshot of the window.

Are you using symbols for system answers? What symbols? If you are not using
symbols, how do you logically and grapchically seperate the information
about the action to be done by the user, and the system answer? Any comments
and suggestions are welcome!

Regards

/Ylva Espling

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=