Re: Techwriter's Jargon

Subject: Re: Techwriter's Jargon
From: Cynthia Millar <camilla1900 -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 19:56:34 PST

I was leafing through Jerry Dunn's "Idiom Savant" - Slang as it is
Slung. He compiled lists of words and phrases which may have a special
meaning to a particular profession, organisation or group. Such jargon
may have a totally different meaning to those outside the particular
subculture where the word usage is coined. He found his material by
tapping into newsgroups on the internet.

To give a couple of examples from the section on Journalism :-

Bulldog - first edition of the day, usually on the street the night
before.

Gooney - a fluffy story in a bulldog edition used to fill up space
until a more important story comes along later.

For Techwriters he could have used examples such as:-

Orphan - one or two short words at the end of a paragraph.

Descender- the part of such letters as p, q, and y that extend below
the baseline.

There are many we don't meet often but we should know.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=