Re: Intranet information sharing--InfoAcess?

Subject: Re: Intranet information sharing--InfoAcess?
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 13:06:24 -0500

I have a suggestion, though there are a number of people here that will
have a problem with the solution because of the tool I'm using to do
it. Therefore, if you are going to take this opportunity to bitch and
moan about the quality of the code or that it inserts too many <BR>
tags, save it. The question didn't ask for a solution using notepad,
she asked for a solution to the problem and I do it all the time.

However, if you are interested in knowing how I do it on both NT and SUN
servers, with or without FP extensions, then you may want to read on.

MS Front Page 98 has a feature called "Include Page" as part of "Insert
-> Front Page Components -> Include Page" This allows you to insert a
page inside of another page without frames. You can even use it to
include content in a table cell from another htm page.

You create the shell/template, then use "Include Page" to look for files
named 1.htm, 2.htm, 3.htm, etc.

You instruct the submitter that material for the appropriate spot must
be named 1.htm, for here, 2.htm.

They drop the files in a designated folder or you move it there manually
or through a script.

When you open the template page, the content will be appear in the
designated section and you then save the whole web to another folder or
server.

The best part about this method is that even though it uses a
"proprietary" FP capability, it runs on a vanilla web server.

It's just a suggestion that I've been using for a few years.

--
John Posada, Technical Writer
Telcordia Technologies, the company formerly known as Bellcore

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=