Re: Long Distance Charges and Internet Document Delivery

Subject: Re: Long Distance Charges and Internet Document Delivery
From: "Spencer Webster (JO1) REDCOM 22" <websters -at- WORLDFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 15:14:19 -0800

This is a hoax like the win a holiday or watch out! email where some hapless
woman get's infected by the aids virus. These are a form of virus because
although they look credible, they are designed to prey on people's fears. Go to
any search engine and type in email hoax and this one will pop up.
Spencer Webster

Rebecca Stevenson wrote:

> I would imagine that for at least some companies, the equivalent of
> imposing a per-use fee on the end users of their documentation would be
> a substantial problem. For my company, for instance, which is currently
> pursuing Internet applications as The Future, it could have serious
> implications.
>
> Speaking as a user, of course, I'd be appalled. My question is, how is
> this supposed to work? Does the phone company have a way of knowing that
> it's my modem making that local call to my ISP and not my dialing
> finger?
>
> Rebecca Stevenson
> Technical Writer
> Hub Data, Inc.