Re: Explanations for getting fired

Subject: Re: Explanations for getting fired
From: Penny Staples <pstaples -at- AIRWIRE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:41:13 -0600

Dear Annonymous,

It was a position that didn't work out. OK. I think that's something that's
happened to many people at some point in their working lives. I was lucky
enough to be let go from a non tech writing job I had while I was at
university. The important thing is to learn from it.

My experience taught me just how badly things can go wrong when there are
misunderstandings and miscommunications in the workplace, and people start
jumping to wrong conclusions. In retrospect, I'm glad it happened. The
things I learned have been very useful in my current career.

It seems that you learned valuable lessons from your experience, as the
subsequent two positions worked out well for you. In the interview, focus on
the positive things. If the job that didn't work out comes up, I would be
honest but brief, and try to put a positive spin on it.

You are not the same person as you were at that first job. You've moved on.
You work differently now, and you probably have some good references. If I
were you, I wouldn't mention the fact that I was fired on my resume, and in
the interview I wouldn't talk about why I left, unless the interviewer asks.
[Question to the list: is this dishonest?]

Regards,

Penny Staples
pstaples -at- airwire -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=