Re: Hours Per Page

Subject: Re: Hours Per Page
From: "Meek, DavidX L" <davidx -dot- l -dot- meek -at- INTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:20:54 -0800

Penny Staples wrote:

I think the important thing to consider is that you can't just pull a number
out of the air. You have to come up with an estimate of the hours per page
based on a thorough analysis of the project you're working with.

The numbers I posted are derived from averages based on previous projects.

For
example, there's a standard 5 hrs per page I've heard quoted, but this
number can change a great deal depending on the writers' knowledge and
experience, the SMEs involved, the user audience, and the type of project. I
highly recommend the Hackos book, by the way.

True, but another important factor to keep in mind is that the metrics I
posted, and those in the Hackos book, are tools. While no tools are
perfect, they are extremely useful. By personal experience, since 1994, I
have found the posted metrics to be highly accurate. (One four-month
project I worked on was completed within one week of the estimate, which was
based on the metrics.) It is always the writer's discretion to alter the
metrics to fit the situation. I have often used tools for other than their
intended purposes (some wrenches make better hammers than some hammers do
;)). But that doesn't detract from the usefulness of the tool.

-Dave
(Any statements made above are mine, and mine alone.)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=