Radical management?

Subject: Radical management?
From: Geoffrey Hart <Geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 12:38:45 -0500

Here's my radical thought for the day:

A truly effective organisation relies on one simple principle: figure
out carefully where you're going, then supervise your people only to
the point necessary to ensure that they reach that goal, more or
less on time and on budget, with a product of adequate quality. I'm
no communist, but despite that, in a very real sense, managers
must be the servants of those who produce, not their masters; that
is, the role of management is to create conditions such that those
who produce the product can produce it, and anything other
benefits that managers bring to the project is gravy. In practice it
never seems to work out that way because the reality is obviously
more complex than that, but neglecting that principle leads to
much of the grief we see in companies nowadays.
--Geoff Hart @8^{)} Pointe-Claire, Quebec
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Patience comes to those who wait."--Anon.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=