Re: FWD: Explanations for getting fired

Subject: Re: FWD: Explanations for getting fired
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:02:52 -0500

Think of this this way.

Your job has so much less pressure when you come to this realization:

"I've been fired before and I'll be fired again."

Besides...I've never been asked what happened at a position prior to the
one I'm just coming off. You say you have two successful positions since
then in your history.

I don't think it ever will come up. If it does? "It wasn't a good fit
and I wanted something different." then immediately guide the discussion
to the good parts of the two previous satisfactory situations.

John Posada

Anonymous User wrote:
> Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.
> I was fired several years ago from a marketing/tech writing position at a
> software company. It was a situation in which I was embarrassingly
> unprofessional and unable to see past my own insecurities and anger in
> dealing with a new boss. Looking back, I realize that I should accept 99% of
> the responsibility for my getting let go, and I've been able to truly turn
> myself around personally and professionally.
> Now that I've been successfully working at two other companies as a contract
> and a full-time tech writer, I would like your opinion on how to explain why
> I was let go when seeking other employment. I want to keep the explanation
> short and succinct without pointing fingers at anyone. What would you say?
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Message forwarded on request. Please reply on list.
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

John Posada, Technical Writer
Telcordia Technologies, the company formerly known as Bellcore
mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com mailto:jposada -at- telcordia -dot- com
phone(w) 732-699-3077 phone(h) 732-291-7811
alpha-pager: 800-864-8444 pin 1857522
email pager: mailto:1857522 -at- pagemart -dot- net
My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish,
and he will sit in a boat and smoke cigars all day."
"The only perfect document I ever created is still on my hard drive."

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=