Re: Screen capture for online viewing: WMF solution

Subject: Re: Screen capture for online viewing: WMF solution
From: Beth Kane <Kane -at- VENTANA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:11:51 -0700

I was having a similar problem with a graphic that I wanted to appear in my
online Help system. Whenever I reduced the large image, I drastically lost
image quality.
I just received this advice from a very knowledgable fellow tech writer. I
haven't had a chance to try it yet, but you might want to give it a try:

"The problem, I think, is with trying to resize a bitmap. A bitmap, of
course, comprises mapped pixels on a screen. Since bitmaps are referenced
pixel by pixel, trying to resize one forces the application to compensate
more than it really can. You might have better luck using a WIndows metafile
(WMF) graphic instead. WMF files are part raster (bitmap) and part vector
(referenced by dimensions), so they resize with less impact on image
quality. They're also legal in WinHelp. Keep in mind, however, thet you will
always encounter limitations when resizing screen captures. At some point,
the image always degrades.

"So, use PSP to capture the image, resize it, and export it as a WMF
graphic.
That should allow you to resize with less loss of image quality."

Beth Kane
kane -at- ventana -dot- com