Re: Interview & testing

Subject: Re: Interview & testing
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:04:53 -0600

Eric Ray wrote:

> In retrospect, the test itself should have warned me
> off, because it clearly showed the discrepancy between my
> priorities (communicating information to users effectively) and
> management priorities (make it pretty, make it grammatically
> perfect according to 7th grade grammar rules...if it addresses
> the content effectively, that's an incidental bonus).

Unfortunately, that's the easiest kind of test to develop and score at
least *somewhat* objectively... it's easier (and more legally
defensible) to count the number of spelling and grammatical errors than
to rate the effectiveness of your writing. So it wouldn't surprise me if
most employment tests emphasized those more quantifiable factors.

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=