Re: The big picture (more than grammar)

Subject: Re: The big picture (more than grammar)
From: Kenneth Mauro <kmauro -at- AMERITECH -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:20:54 -0600

Philomena Hoopes wrote:

> Once I know the basic logic
> behind the product, I have a groundwork for understanding the procedures.

That's it. The problem is that this kind of summary and introduction to
the big picture/basic logic may require a special understanding of the
product -- not merely comprehensive, but ideally, gained from the
crucible of sustained use over a wide range of real-life documents and
situations. Also, such an assignment may take a fair amount of time,
which managers and circumstances may not always allow. Still, I think
the information is valuable for many users.

A few years ago, I asked a project/marketing engineer assigned to guide
my writing efforts why we wouldn't want to include certain illustrations
and explanations -- concept stuff. Stuff I considered big picture but
valuable for that reason. He said "We don't need that information in
there. This is a reference manual we're doing."

I think about that answer to this day. Maybe he was right. Maybe it was
eventually covered in a training class?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=