Technical Communication Questionnaire.

Subject: Technical Communication Questionnaire.
From: James Bradfield <Dean -at- DEMONS -dot- FORCE9 -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 17:29:22 -0000

Dear All,
I am a final year student studying Technical Communication at Degree Level
in Coventry, England. I am currently carrying out work on my thesis
investigating the extent to which Technical Writers must acquire a working
knowledge of registers from a variety of occupations in order to be
effective in their work. I came up with the subject idea when I was on
placement with an engineering firm last summer. I found I quickly
needed to familiarise myself with the terminology of the trade and adapt
this terminology to suit the needs of the audience for whom I was writing.
I found this a particularly hard acquisition to make having previous little
experience of the industry.
However, it made me realise that for whomever I write in future, I will
quickly need to adapt to their favoured methods and means to be a
successful writer.
As part of my thesis, I have designed a Technical Communication
questionnaire that will give me an idea of the different fields of work
Technical Writers find themselves in and to what degree of knowledge of
these fields they require to carry out effective communication.
I very much value your opinions and would really appreciate it if you
could fill out the questionnaire at
http://www.demons.force9.co.uk/questionnaire.htm All information submitted
is entirely confidential and I will post the results on the list at a later
date.
Thank you in advance,
Phil Clark (BA Honours Technical Communication 3rd Year Student)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=