Re: Alternative to "option" for dialog box options

Subject: Re: Alternative to "option" for dialog box options
From: Cynthia Anne Fisher <fisherca -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 17:56:29 -0700

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query about another word for "option." I think I need to clarify a little bit.

Most people suggested that I use the specific term - - list box, button, etc. - or else avoid labeling the option at all. I use both of those strategies when referring to an individual option. Like many of you, I prefer to avoid the label, and only add one when it's necessary for clarity.

My struggle is what to call all of the options in a dialog box or wizard when referring to them collectively, as in the following: "Certain options in the XXX dialog box require you to enter data. Others can be left blank. Your system administrator configures which options require data and which do not."

In my opinion, discussing "required options" sounds quite silly. Therein lies the dilemma.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to rewrite a sentence like the one above, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Cindi Fisher

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000