Re: Desparately Seeking Salary in Houston

Subject: Re: Desparately Seeking Salary in Houston
From: Jane Bergen <jbergen1 -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:24:16 -0600

Liz,

I have a few suggestions:

* Have you checked with your local STC chapter to see have a mentoring
project that would really help you out. They probably also have a job
bank. You mentioned "networking at STC" but I'm not sure what that
entailed.

* By answering these questions, you might come up with a really
dynamic cover letter for your resumes: What attracts you to tech
writing? What makes you think you could be or would like to be a tech
writer? What do you know about tech writing and how it differs from
regular business writing, or marketing writing, or other?

* For your resume: Have you done any tech writing? Have you taken any
tech writing courses? If so, be sure to emphasize these things.

* You might try working with some temporary agencies (such as Volt
Technical, Manpower, etc.) for short term tech writing assignments.
These would give you exposure to a wide variety of tech writing
environments as well as give you some experience for your resume.

<Just an aside: You might want to turn off the HTML or Rich Text
Format option on your mail program. It just comes out as gibberish on
a lot of recipients' mail programs>

Good luck,

Jane
Jane Bergen, Technical Communication
jbergen1 -at- earthlink -dot- net

web page for technical communication:
http://home.earthlink.net/~jbergen1/

----- Elizabeth Lett asked -----

>After a few months of searching for employment as an entry-level =
>technical writer, I am starting to feel discouraged. Does anyone
hire =
>entry-level writers in the Houston area? I have been looking for
four =
>months (newspaper ads, Internet, networking at STC), and I don't seem
to =
>be gettng anywhere. I have a recent BA in English Writing and am
pretty =
>handy with MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Any help or suggestions
you =
>can give would really be appreciated.
>
>Liz Lett

[Below is a snippet of what some of us see instead of your mail
message:

><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
><HTML>
><HEAD>
>
><META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1 = ]

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=