Word97: alpha headings for appendixes

Subject: Word97: alpha headings for appendixes
From: Mike McGraw <mmcgraw -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:17:22 -0800

This looked like an interesting problem:

>Kristopher Sipe wrote:
>I want to set up a 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1 type hierarchy,
>but I don't want my chapters to be numbered.
>
>and Jim Grey replied:
>Set up your Heading 1 to be automatically numbered, but set the number to be
>hidden text.

Pretty tricky.  This exchange got me thinking about a problem we're having with numbering document (developer documents, by the way <gr>) appendixes.

It seems to be impossible to use Heading1 both for numerical chapters and alpha appendixes (1, 2, 3, 4, ..., A, B, C...).  What we're doing is to supply the developers with a template for their document and a separate template for the appendix section.  Is there a way to play with Heading1 so that I can use it for both for the chapters and appendixes?

Mike McGraw
Technical Writer, QCT Software Group
Qualcomm, Inc; San Diego, CA