Writing About Crafts

Subject: Writing About Crafts
From: Amy Corrigan <Barkagain -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 06:56:52 EST

Hey. Me, too. I think you're going to need to start by getting some samples
of your craft writing. I write craft instructions as a charitable
activity--to promote greyhound adoption. I have a web page with free
instructions for 22 canine crafts. Everything from hats and coats to a dog
waste compost bin. We post the patterns in hopes that others around the
country will make a few extras and donate them as raffle prizes to their local
rescue groups. Based on e-mails, people are doing just that.
(www.greyhoundmanor.com)

The web page gets a solid 900 hits a month (not bad for a little personal
page). We were also invited to write a guest column for the quarterly
magazine, Celebrating Greyhounds. No pay there either, but I get to promote
my favorite cause. And I'm certainly learning what works and what doesn't
when writing craft instructions. If something is confusing, greyhound people
ask for clarification. I have received more than one late-night call asking
for clarification on the assembly of a greyhound tuxedo. (After which I
clarified the instructions.)

Once you have an arsenal of samples, I'd suggest going to a publisher who
specializes in crafts, such as Rodale. I think it's one of those things where
you sell more if you also speak on television craft shows and at craft
conferences. Always seemed like a great deal of work to do it for a living!

I'm very happy with the part-time charitable solution. All this fun on nights
and weekends while still getting to work on killer ERP and multimedia training
during the day. LOVE IT! Best of luck!

Amy Corrigan - Senior Consultant
Technology Solutions Company - Change and Learning Technologies
amy_corrigan -at- techsol -dot- com voicemail: 800-759-2250 x2505

>Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 08:54:34 -0600
>From: Patty Marco <pattym -at- FIRSTLOGIC -dot- COM>
>Subject: Write about what I love
>
>I'm an associate (beginner) level tech writer at a software company. Don't
>get me wrong, I'm not fresh out of college. My Bachelor's degree in English
>is well over 15 years old. I have had other careers and my path brought me
>to this profession. I love the people I work with and, after two years, am
>finally getting to understand (dare I say it?) the software I write about
>and the audience I write for.
>
>My greatest desire, however, is to write about something I understand and
>love which is crafts. I know it sounds hokey! Yes, crafts are my passion.
>Not just one kind of craft, all crafts!
>
>Can anyone tell me how to get into technical writing for crafts?
>
>pattym -at- firstlogic -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=