Or what (was "Am I slow or what?")

Subject: Or what (was "Am I slow or what?")
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:20:24 -0800

WARNING: This message contains humor-based objects. Users are required to
install Humor for Brain 4.0, Service Pack 5 before reading this message.

If you are unable to install the Humor Service Pack, make sure that the Ignore
services of your brain are enabled. The Ignore services will enable you to skip
over this message without damage to your Perception-of-the-Universe Kernel.

If you receive a General Happiness Fault upon reading this message, press your
reset button (in private). While your brain is rebooting, re-load your default
values without writing a Complain alert to the network. Thank you.

{begin sarcasm}

I suggest you stop writing and spend a few weeks talking with your co-workers
about writing. If you want to write faster, you should not write - you should
talk about writing. All great writers know that fast writing comes when your
standing around talking about writing.

Also, it is a good idea to complain about nobody respecting you, demand new
tools, attend some muti-day training courses on irrelevant topics, and ponder
what STC seminars you want to attend. This seems to make people better writers.

Oh, yes, I almost forgot. To become a truly amazing writer, don't write at all!
Develop style guides and complex procedures about writing all day. Really
advanced writers spend their super-valuable time designing Rube Goldberg-esque
procedures for mapping their hyper-profound thoughts into intricate
document-snazzification machines. This speeds up the process of not writing and
not learning. With a well designed documentation snazzification system (DSS),
you can not write for years and still churn out megatons of documents.

Everybody knows, the fastest way to be a Master Senior Executive Writer is not
to write at all!

{end sarcasm}

Ernest Hemmingway said (I am paraphrasing)...

"To be a great writer, write 10,000 pages, then throw it all way. Then write
another 10,000 pages, and throw them all way. Then another 10,000, and throw
all that away. About then, you'll start becoming a writer."

For every ton of words you jam together in a sensible manner, you get one step
closer to being better at what you do.

Andrew Plato 4.0, Build 1969, Service Pack 5
(1 Brain) 22,750,000 TB of memory

--- John Nesbit <janesbit -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM> wrote:
> Sending this on behalf of a fellow worker, who just got a new project
> assignment. If you want to write a private email to her, send it to:
> gjudge -at- aries -dot- net Otherwise, I'll forward list mail to her.
>
> I'm writing a manual to accompany a piece of software.
> This is the first time I've done software documentation style writing.
> I feel like I know what I'm doing and enjoy the job. I am having no
> difficulty understanding the software.
> The writing process though, feels very slow! The more I write, the more
> I realize needs written explanation.
> Is this a common feeling among novice software manual writers?
> Will I always feel "slow"?
> Do I need to get "faster" to survive in this field?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=