Re: Framemaker question/suggestions

Subject: Re: Framemaker question/suggestions
From: Katav <katav -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 05:34:47 -0800

Cassandra

1. First, subscribe to FrameUsers (
http://www.frameusers.com ) - don't quit techwr-l; add
frameusers - it's the right 'tool' for strictly FM
info.

2. If Adobe makes a product; buy Adobe's Classroom in
a Book for <product>. I have CiaB for Acrobat & it is a
keeper.

3. Check Adobe forums

http://www.adobe.com/supportservice/custsupport/forums.html
;

they are monitored by Adobe experts (really) and the
information is excellent; you DO get answers, usually
within 24 hours.

4. FrameMaker is NOT similar to Word. Word is a word
processor; FrameMaker (despite Frame and Adobe noises
to the contrary) is not. FrameMaker is a page
composition system; Word (contrary to noises out of
Redmond) is not. Neither are very good graphics editors
(but you can 'live' with FrameMaker's). //THIS INFO
APPLIES TO Interleaf and Ventura as well.//

5. _I_ find it easy to use, but I also enjoy using
Interleaf & Ventura, I'm obviously masochist --
actually, if you RTM, FM is as easy to use as Word
(easier, actually, since if handles long, pix-laden
docs LOTS better ... MUCH lower frustration level).

6. SAVE YOUR WORD LEGACY FILES -- ESPECIALLY if they
contain markup (styles, tags); FrameMaker can 'read' a
word processor's styles (WP, Ami, others). The 'trick'
is that the tag/style names MUST BE IDENTICAL -- case
sensitivity included ... you set up style sheets in FM
similar to those in Word. //THIS INFO APPLIES TO
Interleaf and Ventura as well. FM and Interleaf import
COMPOUND documents; Ventura lacks this ability.//

My business SOP* is
create text in a word processor (usually Word)
create graphics in a graphics editor
send doc for review with pix following text
(either hard or soft copy)
make changes
import into page comp app and format

7. The main ''got'cha'' in the word processor > FM
conversion is auto-numbering. Page comp apps require a
unique first-in-series tag/style ... get back to me
off-list if you want a URL to a PDF auto-number.
tutorial. //THIS INFO APPLIES TO Interleaf and Ventura
as well.//

--- "Parker, Cassandra M. (EXCH)"
<CMPARKER -at- INTERMEDIA -dot- COM> wrote:
> List Members:
>
> I tried to check but can never get into the archive.
>
> Can you recommend a good book for learning
Framemaker
> or an online source?
>
> Is it an easy tool to use?
>
> Is it similar to Word, for example, would you use
one
> or the other but not
> both together?
>

> THANKS,
> Cassandra Parker
> Information Services - Tampa, FL
> Applications Delivery - QA
> (813) 829-6560

===
Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
''Despise not any person and do not deem anything unworthy
of consideration, for there is no person without his hour,
and no thing without its place'' {Ben Azzai [Avot 4:2]}

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=