Re: formerly naive now burned tw needs advice

Subject: Re: formerly naive now burned tw needs advice
From: JGREY <JGREY -at- MADE2MANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:57:41 -0500

The anonymous user writ:
>>I accepted a TW job to work for a contract company at large IT firm.
Before I accepted, asked my recruiter for a certain amount of money more
than they offered... <snip> ...the customer wanted to wait until the first
project was completed and see first if they liked my work. <After I
finished, achieving high customer satisfaction,> he responded that my
experience and education puts me at a level X. I am at the top of the pay
scale for level Xs. To make more money I need to be a level Y, which
requires 2 more years of education and a master's degree. <snip> ...I am not
eligable for a raise.<<

I think you should go to your recruiter and point out this discrepancy. You
could begin by saying that he set an expectation that customer satisfaction
with your work could lead to a raise, but that now he is telling you that
company policy about pay scales means that the initial expectation he set
was never possible. Explain that you're frustrated and disappointed that he
set the initial expectation rather than explaining company policy in the
first place.

I see two possibilities when he set that initial expectation: (1) He lied,
or (2) He didn't think things through. His response to your respectful
statement should reveal which scenario is true.

If he lied, find another job. Don't ever work for a liar.

If he didn't think things through, but isn't genuinely apologetic, find
another job -- he's heartless. If he *is* genuinely apologetic, ask him to
go to bat for you on this to honor his commitment. If he won't, find
another job -- he's spineless. If he does, but the company won't bend, you
should probably find another job -- the company probably lacks honor (but
may be simply calling your recruiter on the carpet for his blunder).

Peace,
jim

jim grey \ Documentation Manager
Made2Manage Systems, Inc. \ jgrey -at- made2manage -dot- com