Re: Tech writing data storage pet peeve

Subject: Re: Tech writing data storage pet peeve
From: Rebecca Merck <Rebecca -dot- Merck -at- ONESOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:40:52 -0500

I'm curious as to what the motivation is behind Beth's concern with
where tech writers store their files. It is just a "they won't follow
the rules" thing, or is there a functional reason why Beth is affected
because they aren't held on the server?

I, too, find that I'm slowed down by accessing files across the network,
and so store them locally. When I reach the point that there is a
"draft" of the document, I check it into the revision control software
that we use for everything, including software.

So if Beth is NOT the boss, and is unaffected by their practices, why
the rant? I'm guess that she MUST be affected some way to have this
strong an option.

AND THERE, I think, LIES THE KEY! Beth, if you tell the tech writers
how you're being affected by it -- that information you need isn't
available, or whatever the underlying problem is -- THAT may be the
motivation you can provide to find a way that works for both of you. I
know that *I'm* willing to change the way I work when there's a
functional reason.

-Rebecca

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=