Re: Not Using the server

Subject: Re: Not Using the server
From: John Gilger <jgilger_it -at- NV -dot- DOE -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 09:48:54 -0800

If this happens with mission critical documents you could be
open for
some real problems!

Here is a real world example of the need to maintain the "master" of a
document on the server:

We are operating under a cost plus award fee contract. The award fee is
based on delivering a complete, accurate document on time.

One of the reviewers of one of our documents specified that a paragraph
be inserted in the document. The author of the document made the change
to the copy on her hard drive, but "forgot" to update the master on the
server. When we published the document, it was deemed "substantially
deficient" because the paragraph was not in it.

It cost us several thousand dollars in lost award fees.

Needless to say, we have tightened up on our in-process control
requirements.

John

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=