Re: Tech writing data storage pet peeve

Subject: Re: Tech writing data storage pet peeve
From: "Comeau, Lisa" <Lisa -dot- Comeau -at- MOH -dot- GOV -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:21:39 -0500

Rebecca answered my question

"some of you seem to be adamant about not using the server as a resource
to keep your work safe. Why is that?"

by saying

"... We're making the logical assumption that "server=safe; workstation=not
safe" <snip> in my experience, it's much more likely that
"server=unsafe;workstation=safe." "

1) I pity those of you who seem to obviously have BAD network admins who are
apparently incapable of backing up systems
2) I was suggesting the server as a BACKUP spot, and a place where people
can access your files in an emergency. I would not suggest EVER having only
ONE copy of any document.

Rebecca also made the great point that

"When *I* take responsibility for the safety of my files, <snip> It puts the
responsibility frankly where I think it otta be -- on me. And on me to make
sure that others in my group know where to find my files (or can find them
readily) if I'm incapacitated."

1) Ultimately, your files ARE YOUR responsibility. I believe, though, that
if you are working with others that may need access to them, you need to be
responsible, just as Rebecca said.

"So using a network server as a resource is good, but to blindly rely on it
<snip> does seem naive..."

1) that's exactly what I was suggesting.

and she asked

"what is it that causes us to be so concerned about where other people store
their files? I am <very>interested in knowing what functional reason there
could be for where I store my files <snip> affecting anyone but me <snip> in
the event of an emergency?"

1)The point I was trying to make was that not EVERYONE takes this kind of
responsibility. I'm glad that YOU do, but I was attempting to educate
people, and really find out why those who REFUSE to use a server are
refusing.

2) For those who do NOT communicate the whereabouts of important documents,
or even worse, those who tell people where to find their files, but make
them inaccessible (i.e by placing a boot password on their system) are in
effect, being unprofessional. (IMO) IF they work with a team of people who
need access to their up-to-date files.

Thanks for the insights.

Lisa Comeau
Ontario, Canada