Re: Tech writing data storage pet peeve

Subject: Re: Tech writing data storage pet peeve
From: Kevin McLauchlan <KMcLauchlan -at- CHRYSALIS-ITS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 09:57:10 -0500

Scott Havens said:

Darren sums it up pretty well: unreliable networks, file
corruptions
and unacceptably slow speeds. Things have improved quite a bit from
what they were a few years back, but it's hard to get over old (CYA)
habits that you learned years ago.

Approximately every second time we get our eSafe (anti-virus stuff)
updates, the update goes smoothly for the Win95/98 folks, but the
wheels fall off for us NT-Workstation types. The local IT dept has
us re-install (the first try, that fails, is supposed to be automatic),
blaming the failure on corruption that must have been introduced
between the server and our respective workstations. As an
indication of modern intranet reliability, I find that underwhelming.
So, when Scott also says:

In fact, that's
essentially what I did as a contractor for my present employer (only
in
that case I was coming in only once a WEEK, so I worked at home
[with
backups to those # -at- $% floppies] and did weekly uploads to the common
server in the office).

I note that every PC that has come into our office in the past
year has a 100MB ZIP drive, standard equipment. My PC at
home also has one.

Beats the heck outa floppies. ZIPs have never dropped a bit in
all the years I've used 'em. Drives are rugged and cheap, too.

It's only recently that I've had individual projects that crowd
the hundred-meg space on a ZIP-100, so I was wondering
if other folks regularly use JAZ or, now, the newer ZIP-250s...?

Regards,

Kevin McLauchlan
kmclauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com (aka kevinmcl -at- netrover -dot- com)
Journeyman techy writer, duffer skydiver, full-time unrepentent chocoholic

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=