Re: Styles for User Guides

Subject: Re: Styles for User Guides
From: Scott McClare <smcclare -at- DY4 -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 13:46:01 -0400

Following this thread with some fascination.

One suggestion that I haven't yet seen, is to create two or three templates
(Traditional, Contemporary, and Experimental, just to give them names) that
can be "offered" to clients who either don't have the time/budget to create
a new one, or don't care about a distinctive look and feel to their manuals.
I understand that in this particular circumstance, time is of the essence.
OK, so some time in the past when business was slower, you created some
templates.

Your client needs a manual, doesn't have a template, doesn't have time to
build one. So you bring your samples for Traditional and Contemporary to
show off. You make it abundantly clear to your client that these are your
standard document designs, which you make available to all clients as a
courtesy.

If the client likes Traditional, but requires minor modifications, let him
"own" those modifications, while you retain the original Traditional design
to offer your next clients.

If the client isn't really satisfied with the look and feel of your own
designs, and insists on something unique, then make sure "unique document
design" is included in your time and cost estimates. If he wants something
special, make him pay for it.

Take care,

Scott

--
Scott McClare - Technical Writer
DY 4 Systems Inc., Kanata, Ontario, Canada

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=