Juggling w/ web developers

Subject: Juggling w/ web developers
From: John Nesbit <janesbit -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 13:26:32 PDT

Hopefully this doesn't stray too far off technical writing area, but
it's a real life situation that I've been striving to deal with.
And while much of it deals w/ work place "politics", perhaps someone
has a procedural suggestion that I've been overlooking.
While I generally do research and content writing, I do know HTML, and
have made a number of web sites using it and Dreamweaver 2.0. So a while
back I and another writer put together a web site for one of the
materials our company uses.
We got the web site so it was functional with all the links working,
etc.We had been checking regularly with the supervisor to make sure we
were in line with what she envisioned.
In the final stage it was then turned over to the primary person who
had created all the company's previous web sites so that he could put
the security clearances, connect it to the databases, etc.
He ends up re-working the entire web site to match his style and then
began "tweaking" the images and organization.
In short, the web site is now available for our selected customers, BUT
much of it is now non-functional--many of the GIFs are absent or not
working, and many of the links are dead, and some of the main material
is now hidden so no one can find it...real basic stuff.
As it was first happening I talked w/ the web designer and got some
things corrected, but we kept finding more and more things that were no
longer working, and it seemed that he just ignored and still ignores any
further email corrections.
We've only got one customer who emailed a question about non working
links because most come under a page that is difficult to find...but
from that one page, nearly 25% of the site's resources remain buried.
I have emailed and communicated both with the supervisor and the web
designer, but see no change yet. Today I went into the inner workings of
the site and found why so many links don't work, but I don't have
"permission" to make the changes--only the one web designer has the key
and password to do so.
So, I offered my services to fix the problems with the site via email
to the supervisor since apparently the web designer doesn't have the
time or inclination to fix them.
Anybody out there w/ similar experience that can think of other ways to
handle the situation?

John Nesbit

Visit my CyberEnglish pages at:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/8565

See Navajo poetry of Hershman John at:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/7460/

Visit Comparative Religion (more personal stuff) at:
http://bahai.freeservers.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=