Re: FW: Guesstimate THIS! (was RE: Contracting Experiences

Subject: Re: FW: Guesstimate THIS! (was RE: Contracting Experiences
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 16:11:07 -0500

> My first rule of thumb as a contractor, though, was absolutely do not
> take fixed-bid-only jobs. There are usually way too many variables to
> predict accurately, and the very fact that the client wanted one usually
> either meant they didn't have a clue what it was going to take to do the
> job, or they were fairly ignorant of the software development process, or
> they wanted to pull a fast one.

But sometimes, surely, it meant they knew what they wanted and what they
were willing to pay for it, didn't it? Most of the work we contract out
(including *all* of our contract writing) is done at a fixed price -- in
fact, we generally don't ask for bids, we say "this is what we pay for
this job; do you want to do it?" Because we send out the same type of
work over and over, we have a pretty good handle on what we expect. I'd
hate for novice contractors to think *all* fixed price jobs involve
clients who are ignorant or dishonest or both. ;-)

Tracy
who freely admits she is often ignorant and occasionally even dishonest,
but tries not to make a habit of it
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=