Re: Question re: Contracting Experiences

Subject: Re: Question re: Contracting Experiences
From: "Meek, DavidX L" <davidx -dot- l -dot- meek -at- INTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 14:38:04 -0700

From: Rebecca Merck

I'm curious -- one of the things that worried me about going contract was
the issue of staying up to date with subject matter technology.
<snip>
I was deeply concerned that by really only "dropping in"
on a project for the documentation phase, that by not being actively
involved in the lifecycle development of a system or a software package or
things of that nature, that I could fall behind in terms of subject matter
knowledge. I'm working for a company now where I'm learning a huge amount
about a very interesting (to me) technology, and I feel confident that if I
had been brought in on a contract basis, I wouldn't be getting this much
exposure.

Although I've been "dropped" into the middle of projects, I've also been
hired to help get projects off the ground. The big benefit is that I
haven't been shackled to any one project for too long. When I was a
"permanent" employee, I was responsible for documenting two product lines.
No cross over. Highly limiting, especially if the technology of either one
(or even both) goes away.

Another advantage is that I meet a higher number of technical writers than
if I worked for only one company. Every writer has a different style, and
each one can teach you if you wish to learn.

Do those of you who are happy with your contracting careers ever feel like
you are losing the chance to get involved in the product development end of
things?

I currently have a greater chance of getting involved in product development
because a) there are more projects to get involved with, and b) my wider
experience enables me to fit into a broader range of projects that I might
otherwise be excluded from.

Dave
(Any statements made above are mine, and mine alone.)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=