Re: Query: Academic journals--And a new list

Subject: Re: Query: Academic journals--And a new list
From: Avon Murphy <avonm -at- USWEST -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 18:08:20 -0700

Henry,

Lots of people seem to keep resource lists differing in precise focus,
length, amount of annotation, etc. Karen Schriver's list in _Dynamics in
Document Design_, which she alluded to in her post a couple of days ago, is
definitely one of the more usable ones. (And it's just one more reason to
buy her great book!)

I've been maintaining a tech communication bibliography for some time, and
I've gone back into it today to see what seem to be the most frequently
tapped sources right now. Here's my list, which includes minimal finding
information, because that information isn't kept up-to-date in my system.
This is just one person's individual list of sources he's finding most
useful right now. Believe me, the list was much different a couple of years
ago, when my interests and job responsibilities were different. Comments are
certainly welcome.

BTW, there are various ways to monitor these sources for current articles of
interest. You might check out the CARL UnCover Reveal service
(http://uncweb.carl.org/), which e-mails you tables of contents of
periodicals as soon as they're available. Saves incredible amounts of time!

Thanks,
Avon Murphy

The list--
* [Asterisk]: The Journal of Computer Documentation (Assoc. for Computing
Machinery SIGDOC)
<TAG> (SGML)
ATTW [Association of Teachers of Technical Writing] Bulletin
Behaviour and Information Technology
Business Communication Quarterly
CBE [Council of Biology Editors] Views
College Composition and Communication
College English
Communications of the ACM
Computer
Computer Shopper
Computers and Composition
Computers and the Humanities
Computerworld
Contentious (Web: http://www.contentious.com/)
CPTSC-L (Council for Programs in Technical and Scientific Communication
Internet discussion list)
Datapro, Gartner, and other research consulting services
Editorial Eye
Ergonomics
IEEE Multimedia
IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication
Indexer, The
Information Design Journal
Information Week
Infoworld
Intercom [STC]
International Professional Communication Conference (IPCC) Proceedings
(IEEE)
Internet Research: Electronic Networking Applications and Policy
Internet World
Journal of Advanced Composition
Journal of Business and Technical Communication (JBTC)
Journal of Business Communication
Journal of Documentation
Journal of Scholarly Publishing
Journal of Technical Writing and Communication
Journal of the American Society for Information Science
Key Words (American Society of Indexers newsletter)
Management Communication Quarterly
Microsoft Developers Network (MSDN) (Web: http://msdn.microsoft.com/)
Microsoft Interactive Developer
Microsoft Internet Magazine
Mining Company Guides
Online
Online User
PC Magazine
PC Week
Presentations
Publish
Rhetoric Review
Rhetoric Society Quarterly
Scholarly Publishing
Seybold Report on Publishing Systems
STC chapter newsletters (many articles are revised and published in STC's
international journals)
STC conference proceedings at international and regional levels
STC SIG newsletters, e.g., A to Z (Indexing), Hyperviews: Online (Online
Information), Independent Perspective (Consulting and Independent
Contracting)
Studio B (Internet discussion group)
Teaching English in the Two-Year College
Technical Communication
Technical Communication Quarterly
Tieline (STC managers)
Visible Language