Re: FWD: How Do You NOT Mention Salary First?

Subject: Re: FWD: How Do You NOT Mention Salary First?
From: "K. Toast Conger" <ktoast -at- WOLFENET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 11:03:00 -0700

>Professional recruiters tell me a) whoever mentions a number first
>loses the negotiation b) we ask so we can see what the market is
>without bothering to do research (!).

True true and very very very true.

Suggested responses:

* I know what is a fair salary and I expect you'll offer me the appropriate
amount when the time comes.

* Are you currently offering me the job?

* I am prepared to discuss my skills and abilities and what contributions I
can make to your organization at this meeting... we can discuss salary at an
appropriate time.

>The latest one is a company that won't entertain further discussion
>or make an offer until I fill out their application form, and they
>won't look at the application until I put a number in the box.

This is not a company I would choose to work for. You see? You can be an
absolutist too. The tech writing market is a busy one now. If you've got
good skills and experience, you need never sign or fill in any box.

And salary is only one component of compensation.

>Yes, I've checked the
>STC survey for this area, and I know enough of other writers' salaries
>here to know that the range is wide, and many hiring managers don't
>have a clue what I should be worth ...

Then it will be your job to educate them at the appropriate time and
place... in other words, after they have made you an offer and you are in
salary negotiations. At which point, having done your homework already, you
will know what will be a fair package.

As for not expecting more than 15% over your last job... I'm sorry... that's
just... limiting. I can't think of a nicer word. Sorry about that. The
market for tech writers in Seattle is so dynamic that the range shifted from
$18-25 to $30 - $45 (through agents) in the course of 18 months. You do the
math... god help the writer who expects only a 15% raise.

Toast

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=