Re: Glossary Terms

Subject: Re: Glossary Terms
From: N Kendall <k534 -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 12:50:09 -0700

> Do yall tend to call out a term which is in the glossary
> in some manner (such as bold or underline)? Does
> anyone know if this helps or distracts the reader?

From my experience, glossary terms are not emphasized in any manner.
However, acronyms, which should be in the glossary, are usually spelled out
the first time they are used, with the acronym in parenthesis. For example,
Automatic Bill Calling (ABC), a telecomm acronym. After the first
spelled-out usage, only the acronym is used.

There is one problem this type of system can create. If the document is
translated into HTML for web use, it is possible for a user to enter the
document at any point, thus missing the "first time definition". Of course
this could also happen in a hardcopy document.

In the case of electronic distribution, it is my opinion, all acronyms
should be linked to their definition, either in the glossary or with a
"pop-up" definition that shows when the mouse is over the acronym. If this
method is used for acronyms, then it could also be used for other glossary
terms.

Any other ideas?

Nancy Kendall
Sr Documentation Analyst and owner