Re: Size of Manuals

Subject: Re: Size of Manuals
From: "Burns, Nancy" <nburns -at- BREAULT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 12:54:11 -0700

Manuals that are in the 7 x 9" range (such as yours) seem to be most
commonly used. This size preference may have to do with it's convenience:
fits compactly on the desk, close to the computer without taking up a lot of
valuable real estate, easier to hold in our hands or lap, and fits in a
briefcase. Most of the 3rd party computer books are printed in this size
range too, probably for the same reason. With appropriate layout and fonts,
readability need not be sacrificed. You didn't say why your tech support
person is adamant about 8.5 x 11. If she or he has the user in mind, I'm
curious as to the perceived benefits to the user from the larger books.

Nancy Burns
nburns -at- breault -dot- com