Re: Are the Inmates Writing the Documentation?

Subject: Re: Are the Inmates Writing the Documentation?
From: Chris Hamilton <caxdj -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:03:25 -0400

Tom Campbell wrote:
> Aren't we often guilty of the same things of which Cooper accuses developers? (And don't we labor under the same constraints?)

Yes. Sometimes the same thing happens with the documentation.

When upper management doesn't see the doc as part of the product, you
aren't going to get the time you need for thorough technical reviews and
for getting developer time (not to mention the ability to speak to a
user or two) to find out how the product really works.

If the product is a GUI-driven device or is rather simple, you can
figure almost all of it out yourself. If it's more complex with lots of
layers of complexity, you're really dependent on SMEs (unless you want
to just eat, shower, and work).

You do the best you can with what you have and the result ends up less
than it ought to be. But you, the technical writer, can only control so
much. You can make your concerns known to management and argue as
vehemently and as passionately as the politics allow, but the bottom
line is, upper management determines the priorities. If the doc isn't
one, it will inevitably suffer.

Sometimes the dragon wins.

--
Chris Hamilton