permission to quote URLs?

Subject: permission to quote URLs?
From: Chris Ketcham <chrket -at- ROBBINSGIOIA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:28:35 -0400

Hello list,

I looked in the archives, and the government copyright site, but couldn't
find answers to my questions.

I'm free-lance editing a self-help book. Clearly, in the body of the book,
we need permission to quote more than a few sentences written by someone
else. We also plan a "Recommended Reading" list for inclusion in the back
matter.

Do we need permission to list a book's author, name, and publisher if that
is all we are doing? We will list not only a book that we may have quoted
in the body of the book, but other titles by the same author. In some
cases, an author may not be quoted in the book, but we want to point people
to that person's work anyway.

We also plan to provide a list of recommended websites. Is it necessary to
contact the webmasters to ask permission to put the URL in the book?

It used to be a courtesy to ask webmasters' ok to link your site to theirs.
Is a book that lists a URL considered different from a site with a link?

Can anyone point me to a site that provides a style for listing URLs? I was
thinking I would provide the title string that appears in the main window of
the site's home page as the site's title (and these titles would be
alphabetized in the list), followed by the URL and the date accessed.

Chicago (section 4.38, 13th ed.) says it's the author's responsibility to
provide the publisher with proof of permission to quote the work of others.
If "my" author needs to get permission for URLs as well as printed work,
he's going to be churning out a lotta letters, and I need to let him know.

Thank you,

Chris Ketcham
Sr. Technical Writer, Jaguar
Robbins-Gioia, Inc. / Metro Washington, D.C.
chrket -at- robbinsgioia -dot- com
My opinions only. Check out www.radicalhonesty.com.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary
act"--George Orwell.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=