Re: Questions for Headhunters/Recruiters

Subject: Re: Questions for Headhunters/Recruiters
From: Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 12:05:21 PDT

Keith Mahoney wrote:

What I need to know is what kinds of questions would you ask a
recruiter about a potential job? (Other than issues that deal with
pay.) For example, I always ask if I will be working in a team.

Tony Markatos responds:

When the job involves documenting existing software, always ask if
you can review the requirements specs upon which the software was
based.

I the response is "There are none", watch out -- you will be dealing
with very primatively designed software. A real pain!

If they let you look at the specs, but you can not make heads or
tails of them, then the software is still primative - maybe a little
less so than the above situation.

If you review the specs (for about a half hour or so) and get a
fairly good understanding of what the software does from an end user
perspective -- take the job. You have found an organization worth
working for.

Note: When reviewing requirements specs the key thing to focus on is
the degree to which they discuss WHAT the software does.
Unfortunately, most specs are very poorly done; the focus on HOW the
software works.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=