Re: The Worst Thing About Contracting

Subject: Re: The Worst Thing About Contracting
From: "K. Toast Conger" <ktoast -at- WOLFENET -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 14:20:46 -0700

At this point, I suggest that we consider the obvious: there are lazy wage
slaves, there are dumb contractors. There are also proactive, agressive
loyal employees and brilliant, troubleshooting contractors. Stereotyping
either group is counterproductive. To push the topic back... well.. on
topic, I would like to offer the reason I am currently a very happy,
well-fed contractor looking for a long-term contract or permanent gig. In
other words, the following is what I feel is the worst thing about
contracting.

I would like to experience a product cycle from beginning to end. As a
contractor I am often the troubleshooter, the stop-gap measure, the problem
solver called in to fix a short-term problem. Once the solution is in place,
the company resumes normal operation and I move on to the next client. Now
this is good for the company, good for my bank balance, and really good for
my skill set. What it sorely lacks is the ability to see the bigger picture
and the opportunity to take satisfaction from seeing a project from
inception through GA.

Toast

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=